Q. When do I file for my Homestead Exemption?

Homestead applications are accepted at any time throughout the year. However, the application must be filed by March 15th or within 30 days from the date listed on the “Notice of Increase in Assessed Value of Real Estate” to be approved for the current year. Any application filed after these dates cannot be approved until the following year.

You may file in person at the County Assessor’s Office during regular business hours.

You may also file by submitting an application online, by mail by downloading an Application for Homestead Exemption, or by calling our office to request an application.

Q. What do I need to bring to file for Homestead Exemption?

You do not need to bring anything to file for a Homestead Exemption.

Q. What is an Additional (Double) Homestead Exemption?

Anyone who has qualified for a Homestead Exemption and has a gross household income of $20,000 or less can file for an Additional Homestead Exemption. Annual filing is required for an Additional Homestead Exemption for anyone under 65 years of age. You may file in person at the County Assessor’s Office

You may also file by mail by downloading the Additional Homestead Exemption and/or Senior Valuation Limitation Form (available from Jan. 1st- March 15th only).

Q. Do I have to count Social Security as income?

Yes, all sources of income, less certain veterans benefits, must be counted whether it is taxable or non-taxable. This includes Social Security, alimony, child support, and any public assistance, including housing assistance.

Q. What do I need to bring as proof of income?

You should bring all 1099 forms and W-2 forms from the last calendar year for all occupants of the home.

Q. Who can file for Refund of Property Tax or 538-H “Circuit Breaker”?

Any person 65 years of age or older or any totally disabled person who is the head of household, a resident of and domiciled in this state during the entire preceding calendar year, and whose gross household income does not exceed $12,000, may file a claim for property tax relief on the amount of property taxes paid on the household occupied by such person. If filing in person, please bring all 1099’s and W-2’s from the previous year. In addition, proof of disability is required for persons under the age of 65. All claims shall be received by the OTC on or before June 30th each year.

Q. What is the Senior Property Valuation Limitation?

This “Limitation” prevents the taxable value from increasing on Homestead property that is owned by anyone who is 65 years of age or older as of January 1st whose gross household income does not exceed the H.U.D. qualifying income for the preceding year.

The Limitation will take effect for the taxable year in which the application is made and approved. The application must be made between January 1st and March 15th or within 30 days from the date listed on the “Notice of Increase in Assessed Value of Real Estate”.

Q. If I place my property into a trust, do I need to re-file my Homestead Exemption?

Typically, no. However, depending on the wording and the terms of the trust it can result in the termination of your Homestead Exemption. Please call Taxpayer Services at (918) 596-5100 for specific information. Property placed in an irrevocable trust does not qualify for a Homestead Exemption.

Q. What do I need to do if I buy, sell, or need to move a manufactured (mobile) home?

To move or change ownership, an 936-R form must be obtained from the County Assessor in the county where the manufactured home is located.

Q. Should I let the Assessor’s Office know my house was damaged by fire?

Yes. Anytime your property has been damaged by fire, flood, or a storm you should call and inform us. If possible, furnish reports dealing with the loss of property value such as a Fire Marshall or insurance report.

Q. How do I find out the physical characteristics of a house and the property value?

Q. I believe there is an error in the information you have on my property. What do I do?

Please call the Taxpayer Services Department and let us know what the error may be. If necessary, we will assign a field person to inspect your property and correct any error that may be found.

Q. I am looking at purchasing a new home. Can you tell me how much the real estate tax would be?

Taxpayer Services can only give a rough estimate based on the estimated taxable market value and last year’s tax rate.


Taxable Fair Cash Value x .11 = Assessed Value (Gross)
Assessed Value (Gross) – Homestead Exemption = Taxable Value (Net Assessed)
Taxable Value (Net Assessed) x (Tax Rate / 1000) = Estimated Tax

The Taxable Fair Cash Value of John Doe’s home is $100,000.
$100,000 x .11 = $11,000
John Doe files for Homestead Exemption.
$11,000 – $1,000 = $10,000
John Doe lives in the Tulsa Public School District. That tax rate for 2017 is $137.08 per $1,000 of assessed value.
$10,000 x (137.08/1000) = $1,370.80
$1,370.80 is the estimated tax due for 2017.
You may also use the Tax Estimate Calculator to estimate your taxes.
Please refer to the Senior Valuation Limitation page for more information.

Q. What is a “Notice of Increase in Assessed Value”?

Whenever the Fair Cash Value (Market) of a property increases, a Notice of Increase in Assessed Value is mailed to the property owner as of the assessment date (January 1 of the current year). The owner has 30 calendar days from the date on the notice to appeal the current year value if so desired.

Q. My neighbors received a “Notice of Increase in Assessed Value” but I did not receive one. Why?

Notices are mailed only if there is an increase in the Fair Cash Value (Market) of a property. If the value remained the same from the prior year or decreased, a notice is not required to be mailed.

Q. Who can file an appeal for the current year value?

The owner of record as of the assessment date (January 1 of the current year) or the owner’s designated representative are the only parties authorized to appeal the current year value.

Q. How do I file an appeal?

  • You may call our office to request that an appeal form be mailed to you;
  • You can come to our office to fill out the form; or
  • You can download and fill out the Informal appeal form and mail it to our office.

After receiving your appeal form our office will schedule your informal hearing date and send you a notice.

Q. What can I appeal?

If you disagree with the property value (not the taxes) set by the County Assessor you may file a written informal appeal. The Assessor’s office shall schedule an informal hearing with you or your agent to hear the appeal. You may have your hearing by phone or in person at the Assessor’s office.

Q. When can I appeal?

The Taxpayer has 30 calendar days from the date the valuation notice was mailed to file a written complaint with the county assessor. A taxpayer may even file a complaint if the valuation of property has not increased or decreased from the previous year if the complaint is filed on or before the first Monday in May.
The complaint shall set out pertinent facts in relation to the notice in ordinary and concise language. Such complaint shall be made upon a form prescribed by the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Q. When I received my “Notice of Increase in Assessed Value”, it had the Fair Cash Value (Market), the Taxable Fair Cash Value, and the Assessed Value (Gross). What do these different values mean?

  • Fair Cash Value (Market) is the value the property would sell for in an open market between a willing seller and a willing buyer. These sales are used to arrive at the market value of similar properties. It requires the reconciliation of differences among the various properties that have sold and the properties being appraised.
  • Taxable Fair Cash Value (TFCV) is the value the assessment will be based on. The TFCV on a property which is a homestead or property which is used for agricultural purposes cannot increase more than 3% over last year’s TFCV and all other real property cannot increase more than 5% over last year’s TFCV unless the title is transferred and/or new improvements are made to the property. The TFCV may or may not equal the Fair Cash Value (Market).
  • Assessed Value (Gross) is currently 11% of the Taxable Value of the property.

Example: For Homestead and Agricultural Real Property

YearFair Cash Value (Market)Taxable Fair Cash ValueAssessed Value (Gross) (11% of Taxable)
2$88,800$82,400 (3% increase)$9,064
3$88,800 (no change)$84,872 (3% increase)$9,336
4$88,800 (no change)$87,418 (3% increase)$9,616
5$88,800 (no change)$88,800 (less than 3%)$9,768

Example: For Non Homestead and Non Agricultural Real Property

YearFair Cash Value (Market)Taxable Fair Cash ValueAssessed Value (Gross) (11% of Taxable)
2$88,800$84,000 (5% increase)$9,240
3$88,800 (no change)$88,200 (5% increase)$9,702
4$88,800 (no change)$88,800 (less than 5%)$9,768

(Taxable cannot be more than Fair Cash Value (Market))

Contact Information